Pages

March 17, 2009

Hospital...

This news is almost a week old now, but I just have to post it. Sean plays on a city league softball team with a bunch of his friends and we play every Thursday night. Last Thursday Sean had a little boo-boo. He usually plays shortstop but "for fun" he switched with an outfield guy for ONE inning. That would be our luck...


So he gets out there, we're into the inning maybe 5 minutes and someone hits a slugger right in Sean's direction. He's hauling for it, sure he's going to get it. Everyone is watching enthralled hoping he catches up to it fast enough because we could use the easy out. And then WHAM all of a sudden he's down on the ground and he's not getting up. He ran straight into the chain-link fence. The ironic thing? It's green, not silver, and it blends right into the background especially when the sun is already set, so no one saw him heading right for it. Not even the other outfielders cheering him on. My first thought was "is his nose broken? is he ok?" Nobody really knew what happened, but they slowly started to clue in. A few people from our team trickled over to check him out. Then a few more... then the whole other team. Then the ump. And what happened next? The ump RUNS away from him. I thought he was going to call an ambulance. And all this time, Sean was still laying on the ground.


I decided this was my cue to go out and see for myself if he was ok. As I'm running out there, all I see is a whole crowd around him and one of his friends looks up and gives me 2 thumbs up. That's good news right? Right. I take one look at Sean and my heart dropped. His nose was bleeding all over the place, he has blood in his mouth and he was shaking. He kept saying he was ok but I didn't believe him.


After filling out some papers for the softball field (for legality reasons?) I made Sean go to the Emergency Room. And the first thing Sean said to me when he saw me picking up all the blankets and my keys was "we're leaving?" uhhhh YA!! You're bleeding all over the place.


We got to the ER at about 8:20 and were there until almost 11:00... ugh. I hate the ER. But the damages were a huge gash on the bridge of Sean's nose, one is his lower gums and another one on his upper lip. His knees were all banged up. He had to get a tetnis shot. The toenail on his left big toe was bent half back and bleeding all over. It took him about an hour before he finally felt the pain from everything and then he was in agony. The PA on duty decided to stitch up his nose and lip but not his gums, it wasn't big enough. He had to have numbing shots in the wounds before they could stitch them and Sean says that was the worst part of everything. He was gripping my hand while they were numbing him and I thought my hand would have to be amputated afterward. Poor guy. That was not a pleasant experience. Luckily, after they numbed his whole big toe the PA was checking around to see what he would need to do (clip some of the nail, cut the whole thing off, etc.), and when he touched it it just snapped back into place. So they just bandaged it up and moved on. Sean was happy about that.

Anyway, long story. He's ok now, healing really well. His lips are no longer swollen but his gums still hurt. He'll get the stitches out on Thursday so all we'll have left to deal with are the huge bruises on his knees. I took a few pictures but I'm not going to post all of them because I'm sure no one wants to see the gruesome stuff.



My poor husband... :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!