Contractions started on Saturday, January 28 almost immediately following my baby shower (thrown by my amazing friend Megan. Thanks again Megan!), at about 1 pm. By about 6 pm I thought maybe I should go in to be checked. I was dialated to a 3. We were there for about an hour and a half and I was still a 3. They sent me home. Bummer. The nurse told me not to come back until my contractions were 2 minutes apart and had been that way for an hour. Yikes! So the timing began.
I got hardly any sleep that night with contractions coming about every 6 minutes. It was uncomfortable, painful and a horrible way to spend the night. Sunday morning I got up hoping that this would be the day. We went to church and I spent the whole time tracking my contractions. They never got closer than 4 minutes. At one point during Sunday School, a lady leaned over and asked me if I was ok. Guess all my deep breathing made her nervous. Haha! We had dinner at my parent's house and after we ate I complained and cried to them about how horrible my life was at that moment. I was so ready to be done! Having contractions for over 24 hours is. not. fun. They were very sympathetic and let me pout (what are parents for right?). I feel terrible though because we were there to celebrate Sean's birthday. His big 3-0. He got a little overlooked this year, poor guy.
When we got home from my parent's house, I begged Sean to give me a blessing and I prayed that the time would come SOON. It was about midnight by the time we were ready for bed and after trying to sleep for about an hour I decided it was a lost cause and got up to read. My contractions were now down to 3 minutes apart but I was so uncomfortable sitting there that I thought doing something active would help. So at 2 am, alone in my living room, I danced -or attempted to dance- to Just Dance for an hour. Then I sat back down and tracked my contractions again. 2 mintues apart! Whoot! I endured them for another hour and then woke Sean up and called my mom to come stay with Allie. Turns out she never even went to bed because she suspected this would happen :)
We got to the hospital a little before 5 am and checked in. I was dialated to a 3 1/2 and after about 45 minutes I was a 4. The nurse says "yep, you're in active labor. We're keeping you" FINALLY. They moved me to a room and by 8 am I was getting my epidural. I don't think I could have lasted another 5 minutes without it. I was dying! They checked me again and I was a 6.
I slowly, emphasis on the slowly, progressed and by 4 pm I was finally to an 8. By 4:30 I was a 9 but I started running a fever. It was a mild, low-grade fever but both the nurse and the doctor were getting nervous about it. At 6 pm I started to push. We pushed for about 45 minutes but they decided it would be better to take a break and let the baby come down a bit more. At 7:50 we started pushing again and she was born at 8:21. It was the best feeling in the world! I did it! I had a successful VBAC!
-----------------------------------------
Heidi Kate
Born 1/30/12 at 8:21 pm
7 lbs 12 oz
20 inches

No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a comment!